Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mileage Program Rules

Ok, with my previous post, I had hoped to lure you into the program without revealing too much before the official start.  Well... i guess it kind of backfired on me, because I had a whole lot of questions asked that I knew were answered in the package you get when you register. 

Yes this is very new to most of you, so I shouldnt have been surprised that you would want to know EVERYTHING before you signed up.  I guess I was a little bit lazy too, not wanting to write out everything twice.

So here is a copy and pasted rule list (straight from the package some of you may already have), read through it, and then I will explain some more underneath it all.


Mileage Program Rules


1.       A team consists on one horse and one rider.  If you wish to enter more than one horse in the mileage program, your mileage will be tracked separately.  Horses can also have multiple riders, but will be tracked separate from each other.

2.       Mileage only counts if you are doing it for the sake of mileage.  Do not include your lessons or other activities as part of your mileage. You do not need to be mounted to do mileage, walking and trotting your horse in hand for the purpose of mileage will be counted towards your total.

3.       If working on mileage outside of the ring, make sure to bring a friend and or adult, and tell someone at the barn where you are going and how long you expect to be gone for.  Always wear your safety equipment!

4.       Mileage logs should be handed in to Sarah or Linda 2 times a month (on the 15th and 30th of each month) in order for it to count towards your total for you to earn rewards.

5.       Prize tickets will be awarded for every 5 miles you complete, as well as one time bonuses when you reach a milestone.  Prize tickets can be used at the end of the season to bid on fun prizes in an auction style.

Milestone Bonus Prizes

20 Miles – 2 additional tickets

50 Miles – 10 additional tickets

100 Miles – 40 additional tickets

250 Miles – 150 additional tickets

500 Miles – 400 additional tickets



Examples:

35 Miles =                            7 regular mileage tickets

                                                2 tickets – 20 mile bonus

= 9 tickets total



 125 miles =                         25 regular mileage tickets

                                                2 tickets – 20 mile bonus

                                                10 tickets – 50 Mile bonus

                                                40 tickets – 100 Mile bonus

= 77 tickets total



                                Other ways to earn tickets (amount will be assessed by Linda, Laura or Sarah):

·         Volunteer at an OCTRA event

·         Display knowledge of “parameters” including checking horse vitals, conditioning techniques, and long distance rules

·         Attend GEC clinics

·         “Other” category… get creative and show us your Distance Riding Spirit in any way you can think of.



                               

6.       Mileage will be tracked from April 9, 2012 to October 6th, 2012 and will end with the Annual Harvest Hack.  Prizes will be awarded at the Harvest Hack.




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


So, some FAQ's are:
  • How do I sign up? There are forms in the Lounge, ask your instructor, or click here and print out a copy for yourself
  • What day is this event? Or when can I qualify for mileage? Mileage is already starting to be accumulated.  There is no particular day that you need to ride on, just ride whenever you usually do.  Just make sure that you log your distances and hand in those forms.  When you get your forms, you will get everything you need to start.  The sooner you get your forms in, the sooner you can start tracking your mileage.
  • How do I know how far I have ridden?  Once you have signed up, you will get a package with maps of the property.  The maps have common routes mapped out and their distances.  Remember to stay to the edge of the routes to make sure you are doing the full distance!
  • Where do I hand in my forms?  For now, you can find me or give it to your instructor.  Look for the lady on the dark gray horse :)  I will hopefully in a few days have a drop box where you can leave your entry forms/fees AND your logged rides.  Make sure you put your name on everything!
  • Do I have to ride to complete mileage?  Nope!  In most distance riding competitions, you can run or walk alongside your horse to give it a break, so we chose those rules too.  Its a great way to practise your groundwork.
  • Can I do this if I only ride in lessons?  Yes you can, but your lessons itself will not count.  However, if you cool your horse out after your lesson by doing one lap around the cornfield, thats one mile closer to getting a ticket.  And you can get extra tickets for other activities too.  Join the facebook group for announcements about ways to get bonus tickets.
  • How do I know how I rank?  I will be putting up a distance board so we can see everyone's mileage.  I will update this every 2 weeks or so.  Please dont move your picture on your own, I will handle all of that!  I will put Linda and I on there, but we arent eligible for prizes... so dont worry about that ;)
  • What are the prizes?  To this I answer.... what do you want?  The program will hand out prizes at the end.  All of your entry money will contribute to prizes, but we hope to have some donated too.  So tell me what you want for prizes and I will do my best to get things everyone will want.  There may be opportunities to cash in your tickets before the final prize auction too, so stay in the loop :)
Gee I hope that answers everything for you.  Keep those questions coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment