Friday, June 8, 2012

Update on Bentley's Owies

As of last night, there was no change in his condition, and still unable to find any heat or swelling.

So now the suspected cause is an abscess in his foot.  For those who don't know what that is, its basically when bacteria finds it way up into the hoof and causes an infection.  The buildup of pus causes pressure that is very painful.

The farrier cant be out until Monday, so in the meantime I am going to be poulticing (applying a clay) to help soften the sole and maybe help relieve some of the pressure?  Here's hoping.

Its no fun having an out of commission horse due to something that's hard to prevent. 

Oh and the extra fun part?  Having a young horse that has never been poulticed before.  Extra fun for me never having to have done the hoof before either.  Poulticed many legs, never the hoof.  So my duct taping of the foot looked bulky and awkward.  Luckily I had Liz holding him while I tried.  Things were good until the sound of the duct tape set him off.  Had I been able to wrap from the roll, maybe it wouldn't look so terrible.  Lets just hope it stays on.

No comments:

Post a Comment