Monday, November 12, 2012

30 Minutes to ride

I had a busy weekend at work, the owner was back and riding during the day, which meant Saturday I didn't take a lunch (and worked just shy of 10 hours) and Sunday I had an hour and a half for lunch instead of my usual 4 or so hours.  How does one ride for less than an hour?  Is it even possible?  Its something I had long since forgotten how to do.  And when I calculated my travel, prep and cool time, I realized I only had a half an hour to ride.  Is it worth it, or do I just go eat something?

Well, the weather was sunny, and over 17 degrees.  Something we may not get for another 5 months.  I would be a fool to miss out on that opportunity.  So I took my half hour with an open mind.  It was either going to be a short fast work, or a leisurely walk around the valley to survey it for the last time.  Bentley's choice!

We trotted a warmup around the fields, and went down to the plateau.  Bentley made a beeline for the warmup log, and there was no convincing him otherwise.  Ok, I get the point, we will work on our xc jumps today!  This is how he talks to me, he is very good about making clear points as to what he wants to do, and what he expects from me.  We did the jump from various angles, directions and gaits, until he decided it wasn't worth jumping anymore and just picked up his feet over it instead.  "time to move on Sarah, I am not going to let you wimp out today!"

There is another jump in the plateau that I have never tried (ok well theres 2 safe enough ones but one is HUGE and with the new paddock there, we would have a terrible approach, not good for building confidence).  The one I am talking about is the tire jump, probably the size of car tires whatever that might be.  On a whim, I thought, its a big step up, but lets try it! Its kind of on a funny angle, since it is close to the treeline, so I first approached it going north, away from the treeline, which requires a slight turn then maybe 2 strides in to jump it straight across.  No dice, he veered away from it.  So I tried it again going toward the treeline, still no luck.  We trotted up to it, still wasn't happening.  Walked up to it, stopped and took a good luck, then LEAPED over it!  Yay!  So reapproached going toward the treeline from the long approach at the trot, still didn't want to go over it.  Instead of taking a long approach again, I circled to the left, pretty tight, and approached it at an angle.  Leaped over it again, a few more times from that direction cantering it this time, and he was jumping it beautifully.  Even did it once going away from the treeline.  I don't know if it was so much the jump that intimidated him, as it did the approach or the landing, because if we came to the jump straight on, we would have to make a tight turn immediately after, jumping it on an angle means we could ride straight after.  Perhaps that's how that jump is supposed to be ridden anyway!  Either way, it boosted his confidence immensely.

Heres my very-not-to-scale diagram of our failed and successful approaches:



We went through the gate down to the valley. He stood still while I mounted from the right side, first time ever. Only did it because of the ground slope, but he was very good!

As soon as we were at the bottom of the hill, he took off trotting, but shortly after the fallen logs, he had a large spook and we had a slightly rerouted path.  Not sure what he thought he saw!  He hasn't spooked in a long time!  It was just a sidestep and pivot, and I stayed in the saddle easily.  We continued on, long drink in the creek.

Out the other side of the creek, we went to another jump we like doing, its nice and wide and not too tall,  very inviting.  Trotted right into it, beautiful jump and cantered after.  At that point, we decided it would be fun to gallop around and pretend like we were on a real cross country course.  We picked a few of our favourite jumps to  string in a line, and threw in some new ones too, with lots of nice turns, circles, ups and downs.  A few we jumped in both directions.  I was amazed at how well we were getting our distances, I didn't think I was rating him too much, but I must have had some impact as I noticed for once I had a good steady grip on the reins (usually I am too nonchalant about riding him and let them just slip through, and make him balance himself)  I really didn't think too much about it, I just RODE.  I think having the good grip helped him balance and approach with confidence.

Bentley was clearly gaining his confidence too, because several times, I would decide it was time to double back to try a different jump, and he would set his sights on something more challenging, the arguments weren't too difficult to win however, when he learned that I wasn't going to make him stop jumping, just try something different.

Once I did give in to him however.  There is one jump that I always look at and think "yikes!" Its not huge, no more than 3 feet is my best guess, but its solid and airy all at the same time.  It just looks like a monster.  Something about when a big thick log isn't resting on the ground... its far more intimidating than the same size barrels or coops.  He wanted to try it, I had to trust him.  When we jumped it, it had to be in slow motion, it felt like we were airborne forever.  Wow!  What a horse!

I wish I could have had ground eyes and a video camera for it.  He is still so green, that usually our jumps are awkward and I must stay loose and flexible above him to keep upright, but this jump felt perfect, I would have loved to see what it looked like.  Clearly he must be thinking "go big or go home"  Maybe "Go big, then go home (and eat mints!)"  He certainly put in a great effort, but made the ride so easy.  He will do anything for me, and I for him.

All this of course in my endurance saddle with dressage length stirrups.  I was lucky I didn't get a pommel in the gut!

Perhaps with hard work all winter, we WILL be able to do some of the pre-training events (jumping courses up to 3') required of the 5 year old young event horse series.

Bentley is going to love whats next in store for him.


*** Edit***
There was some confusion, that Bentley may be running off with me.  Not the case!  I guess I didnt word it the best way here.  If hes feeling good and passes some of the tests I give him, I let him choose where we go and how fast... within reason!  That includes many of the jumps.  Generally I take it like we were hunting, I want to go somewhere, sometimes there are obstacles in the way and we can choose to go over or around.  If he wants to go over, I allow it.  He also respects when I ask him to bring down the speed, or I want to go somewhere else, or not take a jump, its a give and take. 

My way of rewarding him is giving him a chance to lead and choose what he wants to do.  I do this quite a bit after a good ride for the last month and a half or so, and his manners with me have been improving so much when he knows he gets to have fun too!  To him, I think thats a better reward than a pat or treats.  He actually never tries to run off with me anymore when we are working, just does his work, and is patient for his reward.  We have a great deal of trust in each other now :)

Sometimes that leads to some confusion, finishing one jump, and spotting an opportunity at the next, it happened a few times where he would lock his sights on it, i knew thats where he wanted to go, so I would either steer him toward it, or say, "nope, this way!"  "seriously  Sarah?  Why cant we?"  "Yes, this way, we will still have fun"  "Ok!"  The conversation is never difficult, but sometimes it is hard to say no to a happy horse :)

No comments:

Post a Comment